Non-shorebird migrants are beginning to meander their way into Carver County.
Through yesterday, I had actually seen more obvious(excluding what are very
likely migrating Redstart and Yellow Warbler that I have been seeing) migrating
warbler in July vs. the first two weeks of August.  I saw 5 migrating warbler
in July: Tennessee (2), Nashville, Black-and-white, and Northern Waterthrush.
The first two weeks of August I only found a lone Black-and-white Warbler and a
lone Northern Waterthrush.   Other obvious non-shorebird migrants seen this
month through yesterday included a couple Olive-sided Flycatcher and a
Swainson's Thrush.  This morning at Carver Park Reserve I found Alder
Flycatcher, Black-and-white, Tennessee, and Blackburnian Warbler.   As for
shorebirds, most are aware of the available habitat in the county.  I have made
many visits out to western Carver County beginning in July, but suitable
habitat was lacking in July so most of my best luck with shorebirds began on
August 1.    I ended up having my most productive shorebirding yesterday
morning beginning a bit after sunrise, as the overnight rains had raised water
levels at New Germany and shorebirds had been forced closer to the edges of the
wetland off of both Yale and Yancy Ave.   I found 11 shorebird species
including Stilt Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's, and Red-necked
Phalarope.    There were even a few shorebirds in the Tacoma Ave. area as the
overnight rains had yielded the most suitable habitat in that area than has
been available since I've been checking in July.   Keep in mind, for those
thinking of last year, that the Tacoma Ave. area received over 15 inches of
rain during the months of July and August 2016, and that is why the habitat
remained for such an extended period of time.   This July and so far this
August that area has probably received less than half of that.

John Cyrus