This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, September 5,
2019  sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may
also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
 <https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report>
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

Migration is clearly in progress all over the state, as we are seeing
gatherings of birds in preparation for their long journeys south. Early in
the past week we saw a large number of northern flickers in our yard in
Pennington County and this continues today. A few new species are being seen
out of their nesting area, hawks can be seen in late afternoon perched on
many power poles when the wind dies down for the day. Many juvenile birds
are seen along the roads and at feeders. A Minnesota Birding Weekend in Lake
of the Woods and Roseau Counties was held last weekend where they tallied
155 species including twenty species of warblers, although no big numbers in
any one place. Shorebirds and sparrows were not seen in expected numbers,
and Warroad WTP was the best shorebird spot.

Migration has reached Grant County, and an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER  was
reported from that county, and Charlene Nelson reported a WILSON'S WARBLER
also.

In Clay County, Brian Vik saw a juvenile WHITE-FACED IBIS  three miles east
of Barnesville on August 27th.

At Erskine in Polk County on September 2nd I saw a family of TRUMPETER SWANS
with five cygnets at the Erskine WTP. Also there was a lone WILSON'S
PHALAROPE  and many gulls which I was not equipped to identify.

Here at home in Pennington County east of Thief River Falls, a probable
SWAINSON'S THRUSH  appeared at our bird bath on August 31st. Lots of YELLOW
WARBLERS  were seen in the yard as they nested nearby.

In Roseau County, the Minnesota Birding Weekend found a number of
interesting species at the Warroad WTP on August 30th. Among them were
ROSS'S GOOSE, CACKLING GOOSE, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, RED-NECKED PHALAROPE,
and BOBOLINK. A GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH  was found in Roseau,  RED-BELLIED
WOODPECKER  at the Roseau city park. 15 GRAY PARTRIDGES  were found along CR
9 2.7 miles south of MN 11. A single SHARP-TAILED GROUSE  was seen on CR 10
on September 1. SHORT-EARED OWL  was found hunting the hayfields northeast
of Roseau along 350th St 1.2 miles east of 410 AVE. Fifty BLACK-BILLED
MAGPIES  were seen along CR 119.

A WESTERN KINGBIRD  was observed along Lake of the Woods CR 17 , and RED
CROSSBILLS  were seen in Beltrami Island Forest near Norris Camp.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202.
Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled
update of this report is Friday, September 13, 2019.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN