(Posted by  <> via moumn.org)

In having lived and birded in Cass County off-and-on for over 50 years, the
only black-billed
magpies I had seen until this year were in McKinley Twp where they are known to
breed.  This
year I also found one in Sec. 20 of Ansel Twp on the Pine River Breeding Bird
Survey route in
June.

But this fall I have seen them elsewhere in the County on 3 separate occasions.
 First, in Sec.
24 of Birch Lake Twp on 22 October, then in Sec. 29 of Leech Lake Twp on 27
October, and
lastly in Sec. 18 of Wilson Twp on 13 November.  Dale Yerger reports they have
been seen
occasionally around Deep Portage, and they have been seen on the Pillager CBC
twice, and my
wife has seen them at Cass Lake a couple of times recently.  But overall, I
have the impression
that they are either moving south this year in greater numbers than usual, or
their local
population is expanding.