One of Minnesota’s historic birders died this past weekend. Robert B. Janssen —
Bob to his many friends -- was 91 years old, and had been in hospice care for
several months. He began birding as a child (5 years old, his eye caught by a
meadowlark), and never stopped until he entered hospice.

Bob was a gentleman first of all, and then a lister the likes of which we are
unlikely to see again. He had recorded at least 225 species of birds in each of
Minnesota’s 87 counties. He told me once that his birding travels had taken him
to every place name listed on a state atlas.
He was an important member of the Minnesota Ornithologists’ Union for many
years.

He was author of several books, the first “Minnesota Birds: Where, When, and
How Many,” coauthored with Janet C. Green of Duluth in 1975. In 1981 came his
second book, “Birds in Minnesota,” a guide to distribution of birds here.
“Birds of Minnesota State Parks” followed in 2015, published by the Minnesota
Department of Natural Resources.

His most recent book, his last, is an exhaustive account of our birdlife,
“Birds in Minnesota,” revising and expanding his previous work. He was assisted
by Dave Cahlander, a friend. The book offers the who, where, and when for
Minnesota birds, 580 pages of detail and maps, published by University of
Minnesota Press.

Bob gave birding talks to countless groups, led trips, taught classes. He was
an ambassador for Minnesota birding, its most enthusiastic enthusiast. For
years he assembled a weekly report of sightings he considered noteworthy, and
on Thursdays recorded a voice message on his answering machine listing details.
He took information that birders had left on the machine, and allowed the
listers and chasers among us to make plans for the weekend. For years, Bob was
our email and our ebird.

One more word about his lists: He kept dozens. His major projects were lists by
county: no fewer than 225 species in each county for a total of 21,351 check
marks; 150 species minimum seen in each of our 87 counties; 318 species seen in
the four counties cornering the state.

Many of us will say this: He was my friend and I will miss him.

Jim Williams
Orono