In the past 2 days, in the areas around Big Stone NWR (near Odessa), the
Minnesota River Headwaters, Lakeside Park, the southern tip of Big Stone
Lake in Ortonville, and along Dike Road between Ortonville and Big Stone
City SD, the following waterfowl are currently present:

Several thousand Greater White-fronted Geese

Mallard (many stay the winter)

Gadwall

Redhead

Common Goldeneye

Ring-necked Duck

Ruddy Duck

Bufflehead

One of the best viewing areas is along Dike Road, from the bridge, where
the Whetstone River enters Big Stone Lake. (The Whetstone was diverted to
flow into the lake after the 1930s drought). The water is wide open and is
a popular feeding area for waterfowl, especially divers. You can either
view from the bridge, or from the shoreline in the city-run campground.

If you use eBird, look for reports by Brandon Semel and Douglas Pierzina.
They will be filing reports nearly every day through Migration Season, and
they are two of the area’s best birders.

I’ll be posting regular updates on migratory and nesting species, road and
habitat conditions, and noteworthy numbers or concentrations of birds here
on MOU-net.

Jason Frank

Ortonville