Julien Pierre wrote:

> Jean-Marc,
>
> Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:
>
>> For more advanced usage of client authentification, it can happen that
>> you own several certs representing several "identities" that you may
>> wish to wish concurently to connect to the server, or to change
>> without having to close the browser.

Yeah, the latest version of IE 6.0 has a new button in the Certificates
portion of the Contents tab in the Internet Options control panel.
The new button says "Clear SSL State".  Their context-dependent help
says it wipes out the SSL cache.  Presumably this is so that you can
choose a different identity.

>> But probably support for that only requires change at the PSM level.
>> I wonder if PSM would in it's current state support concurent access
>> to the same site with a different user certificate.

NSS permits an application to have multiple concurrent SSL sessions
with the same peer, each session having different authentication.
It's accomplished with the SSL_SetSockPeerID function.

But once you had multiple sessions, it's not clear to me how PSM
would figure out which of them to use for a new SSL connection.
It's also not clear to me that an ordinary user could keep it straight.

> In order to login again to the same server with a new identity, you
> would need to invalidate the SSL session.

That's not required by NSS, nor by the SSL/TLS specs.  Maybe you're
saying that PSM currently requires this.

> Normally, the session is valid
> for 24 hours. If you don't want to wait that long, you can either
> restart the browser or the server, which will also invalidate it ;-)
>
> NSS does provide you with the ability to connect to a server without
> re-using an existing SSL session. Nothing in PSM tries to do this, to my
> knowledge. And it's pretty hard to envision what that would look like,
> from a user interface point of view.
>
> The best way would be if the server provided a logout page, which would
> invalidate the SSL session in the server, and thus force your browser to
> do another full handshake the next time around, and allow you to select
> another identity.

Maybe each browser window could display in its status bar the nickname of
the user cert used to authenticate in that window?

--
Nelson B