Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good explanation on how the passwords in FF are encrypted (same goes for usernames).

1° without setting a master password
~ i'd like to understand the algorithm that turns a username string (such as "Langelot") into an encrypted username
(which is stored in signons.txt, with an ASCII editor, you can read something like this: MDoEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECJhflYb06mJ1BBCbpXG1HSBcV9vtshrQOgT3, which is the "langelot" string encrypted)

2° with a master pw set
~ in this case, the encryption isn't reversible if you don't have the master password string; I'd like to have some good information about this subject as well

Thank you

ps: For win xp users, signons.txt is in: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<user profile>\signons.txt