I see in one of the pkcs12 header files in these 2 structs the mention of the above modes:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/security/nss/lib/pkcs12/p12t.h#143
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/security/nss/lib/pkcs12/p12t.h#158

so I would assume that the underlying NSS can handle using asymmetric keys to protect PKCS12 files, but do pk12util or mozilla/firefox/thunderbird/etc support using these methods? I can't recall any command line or gui-based options for using that kind of protection when creating/importing a PKCS12 file. Is this kind of functionality only available at the API level for writing a custom app?

I found out about these modes from the RSA PKCS12 spec sections 3.1 and 3.3 (available here: ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-12/pkcs-12v1.pdf).

Thanks,
Dave