No, I'm afraid you got that wrong.  Any site is free to do
what they want. Consumers are also free to do what they want.

However, the outlined scheme provides for a uniform way for
a consumer to trust a company's digital certificate, based on
the laws of the jurisdiction that established that company in
the real world.  As a consumer, I still get to choose whether
I trust that company or not - but the legitimacy of the
company or its digital certificate is not in question.

There is a corollary benefit to the outlined scheme: today,
as long as your credit card is good, you can get a server SSL
certificate from most CA's in the browser, regardless of who
you are.  Thus, the existing scheme, benefits attackers.  The
outlined scheme has an underlying paper-trail by default,
potentially leading to officers of the business entity who
can be held responsible for illegal activities.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

cdr wrote:

Did I get that right...? Do you seriously propose that only
government-sanctioned sites should be capable of conducting
secure transactions?

cdr