Well, I actually used SSL_TRC instead, since this is already in the
code.  However, no, I could get NSPR logging to work for me.  I am
using Red Hat Linux 8 with the 2.4 kernel.

The problem was that I didn't see any output - neither in the terminal
window, nor in the log file if I specified one.  Should I use
PR_SetLogFile or the NSPR_LOG_FILE environment variable?

What I did exactly was:

I put in my program code similar to the one in

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/reference/html/prlog.html#25604

I defined a log module with PRLogModuleInfo, initialized it with
PR_NewLogModule and then used PR_LOG for logging debugging information.
 Alternatively, I tried using PR_SetLogFile to output into a log file.

Together with these, I tried setting the environment variables
NSPR_LOG_MODULE and NSPR_LOG_FILE where needed.

Peter