On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> > So i'd like to propose bringing the notification closer to the
> > workflow.  How about a *non-interrupting* message that appears
> > next to a text field while the cursor is placed there?  I'm thinking
> > of a transient pop-up, like a tooltip, except it would appear
> > immediately when the keyboard focus enters the text field, and
> > disappear automatically when it leaves (a bit like an autocompletion
> > list).  This would resolve two problems at once: (a) the user now
> > notices the *presence* of a warning, rather than the absence of an
> > assurance; and (b) the user doesn't have to have the presence of mind
> > to interrupt his own train of thought and look at the status bar.
>
> What would the warning say, and in what circumstances would it be triggered?

When the form submission URL does not use SSL, the message could say
"Information entered here is publicly visible."  When the form submission
URL does use SSL, the message would say "Sending this information to <name>."
where <name> is the site identifier shown in the status bar.

I'll write a separate post with my thoughts about what kind of site
identifier is best (in my opinion).

-- ?!ng