Gervase Markham wrote:

HJ wrote:

You can hash a particular domain and say "has the user visited https://www.foo.com?"; (which is the question the browser needs to know to do the "new site" indicator). But you can't say "give me a list of all the domains they visited."

In a perfect world maybe, but do we live in a perfect world, no.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. I'm talking about the effects of a fundamental property of one-way hash algorithms. If you have some magic way of reversing (say) MD5 or SHA1, let us know :-)

Yup.  Go through their logs, pull out all the URLs that
are cached there, and run them through the hash.  Any
that match a hash makes for a hit.  Relying on the
non-reversibility of the hash for security reasons does
mean keeping accesss to the original as a secret as well.

iang

--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
       http://financialcryptography.com/