Iceman wrote:
hello friends,

i am confused about install.js script. Is it true that install.js will
be deprecated in future versions of firefox?

No. The Firefox and Mozilla installers themselves bootstrap on a core xpcom engine and install the products via install.js scripts. The new extension manager install.rdf is fine for firefox extensions, but doesn't work for the Suite or for updates to Firefox/Mozilla itself.

I wanted to distribute an extension which installs an windows
application on users' machine. So after i install my extension, i
should be able to launch an installer which installs my windows
application..basically putting the windows application in the right
windows direcytory and write the path in the registry.

The two styles, install.rdf and install.js, do not mix, so installing a true Firefox extension at the same time as using the install.js script would be a bit difficult.

You could launch two installs from the web site together using InstallTrigger.install().

Maybe we should implement a registerExtension() command in install.js that will take a defined subset of the install and pass it off to the extension manager. Up to now no one's been asking for that kind of thing.

But if i cannot use install.js

install.js isn't going away, but we're pushing install.rdf as more appropriate for most simple cases.

-Dan Veditz