Just been playing around with TalkSender (www.talksender.com). It's
a free small win9x prog (Mac in beta) that records an audio and/or
text message and sends it via the internet. It produces a compressed
wav file with a max. duration of 60 secs.  When I tried it, it
produced a 97 KB WAV attachment with a sampling rate of 8 KHz and a
bit rate of 13 Kbps. It was attached to a HTML message with an
animated graphic with any text component that I'd included.

Questions:
1. How common is the capability of playing compressed wave file?
2. I'd like to play around with LAME creating some and try some
different rates.  How do I create a compressed wave?
3.  If it's in MPEG level 2.5 format internally I presume the
receiver would need an appropriate codec to play it?
4. Any suggestions for LAME command lines for voice messages.