> From: "spahm ." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 11:47:52 EDT
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> When I encode with the -V2 switch, I get full bandwidth (no filters
> activated), but when I specifie a minimum bitrate switch -b160 or even
> -b256, lame applies a low pass filter. Oddly enough, -b128 or lower doesn't
> trigger the low pass filter. Any one have any ideas? I'm using lame 3.70.

Good point.  LAME bases the filter on the computed
"compression_ratio".  With VBR we dont actually know the compression
ratio, and LAME takes its best guess.  But this guess was being
overridden if you specified a minimum bitrate.

I just changed the code to:

  /* for VBR, take a guess at the compression_ratio. for example: */
  /* VBR_q           compression       like
     0                4.4             320kbs/41khz
     1                5.4             256kbs/41khz
     3                7.4             192kbs/41khz
     4                8.8             160kbs/41khz
     6                10.4            128kbs/41khz
  */
  if (gfp->VBR) {
    compression_ratio = 4.4 + gfp->VBR_q;
  }

so -V2 should behave like 224kbs = no filters.

Mark