Whats your transport?

Real can be transported via UDP (real's own anti-social flood the internet
method) or via TCP.

MP3 can be transported via RTP/UDP (not common, cept via multicast) or via
TCP (http, very common).

If you are expirencing packet loss, the TCP stream will retransmit while
the UDP probably will not. However, the loss will slow the TCP to the
point of not being able to meet your bitrate requirements, and the buffer
will dry out and the audio will stop.