Hello Takehiro,

Sunday, May 28, 2000, 7:05:46 PM, you wrote:

TT> it seems FhG and Thomson changed their patent policy.
TT> see http://www.mp3licensing.com/index.html

thanks :)

quotes:

Hello Roel,

Sunday, May 28, 2000, 8:26:01 PM, you wrote:

RV> Hello Takehiro,

RV> Sunday, May 28, 2000, 7:05:46 PM, you wrote:

TT>> it seems FhG and Thomson changed their patent policy.
TT>> see http://www.mp3licensing.com/index.html

thanks :)

quotes:

RV> mp3 Software Decoders/Players distributed free-of-charge via the
RV> Internet for personal use of end-users:

RV> No license fee is expected for desktop software mp3 decoders/players that are
distributed free-of-charge via the Internet for personal use of end-users.

RV> mp3 Software Encoders (patents-only):
RV> If you have developed your own implementation of an mp3 encoder or if you have
licensed such an implementation from a third party, you need a patent-only license.

RV> US$ 2.50 per unit
RV> US$ 15,000 annual minimum, payable upon signature and each following year in
January, fully creditable against annual sales.

RV> $15.000 a year minimum.

RV> Limited Demo mp3 Software Encoders
RV> In general, our licensing model for software mp3 encoder products is based on
per-unit royalties. The license agreement includes the right to distribute limited
demo mp3 encoders free-of-charge
RV> to end-users for the sole purpose of generating sales of upgrades to full mp3
encoders, bearing a per-unit royalty as mentioned above.

RV> The patent royalties for the right to distribute such limited demo mp3 encoders
are (In case you wish to use the Fraunhofer IIS mp3 encoder, the numbers double):

RV> Limited to either 20 encodes or 30 days
RV> No additional payment

RV> Limited to 56 kpbs, 24 kHz, mono/stereo
RV> One-time payment of US$ 100,000

RV> Limited to 96 kpbs, all sample rates, mono/stereo
RV> One-time payment of US$ 1,000,000

So if you want to distribute a demo, you need to pay $1000000??? ha!

RV> Royalty Summary

RV>   mp3 Decoders/Players/Decoder ICs
RV> US$ 0.50 per unit (patents-only)
RV> Paid-up licenses for Windows/MacOS software decoders

RV> Software mp3 Encoders
RV> US$ 2.50 per unit (patents-only); or
RV> US$ 5.00 per unit (patents and object code developed by Fraunhofer IIS-A).

RV> Hardware mp3 Encoders
RV> US$ 2.50 per unit (patents-only)

RV> Electronic Music Distribution
RV> 1.0 % of revenue; minimum US$ 0.01 per download (pay-audio, music-on-demand,
internet-radio and other types of selling mp3 files).

RV> Minimum Royalties
RV> All agreements with running royalties have an annual minimum of US$ 15,000,
creditable against annual royalties.

 --
Best regards,
 Roel                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]