Osamu Shigematsu wrote:

> Here in Japan, we may need patent license even f
> ree encoder. ($15000 every year)
>
> By the way, I found following patent free sound
> format about 2 days ago.
>
>         http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/
>
> What's this?
>
> If this was really patent free and open source
> (GPLd/LGPLd), I hope I can port it to Mac.

Also visit http://www.vorbis.com/ , they released
version 1.0beta yesterday ( tue, 20-jun-2000 )

I read in an article at
http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,6015,00.html
--start quote---
The LAME project, which makes MP3 encoders for Linux, was unable to
afford a Fraunhofer license and had to pull executable files from
its Web page. LAME is releasing a Vorbis encoder on Tuesday and,
Montgomery says, ''basically switching out of MP3 altogether.''
--end quote---

The mentioned tuesday is Jun 20,2000.
Montgomery is the key man of Vorbis.
So Mark, what about some clarification ?

David Balazic