Nathan Blomquist wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone would be or knows anyone who would be interested in a
>16-Bit DOS version of LAME?  I have been able to produce these by using a DOS
>extender called WDOSX.  This allows almost any Win32 console application to work in
>standard DOS.
>
> I have only been able to test this with a Win98 boot disk.  But if anyone is
>interested in this type of binary, please email me.
>
> Are there any mp3 players for DOS or Win3.1?  Is there any want for DOS binaries?

There are a few players for DOS and WIN3.1x out there. The ones I know of are...

DOS : dosamp.zip (based on winamp and ported to DOS)
DOS : ocp260pre4.rar (I don't know the full name)
WIN3.1 : wp3v23b5.exe (again, I don't know the full name).

My computer is too slow to use any of these (a 486 120MHz), but an additional problem
is that these OS don't support long filenames, so it it extremely difficult to tell
what you want to play without starting it and looking at the ID3.

This would apply to encodings as well, athough it would be nice to have my slow
computer churning while I am playing with the faster one!

Additionally, to make things nice, I would want a batch encoder for (at least) Win3.1
which would require a port of an interface...

Owen.