>>I think the only way is to find every frame, and analyse the header. It will
g>ive you the frame length with the formula mentionned earlier
(sample_per_frame>/sampling_frequency).

>>Otherwise, you'll be missing the VBR aspect of files (unless you can get the
'>real' bit rate).

>Do you know of any tool I could use to visualize the properties of the
>frames in a mp3 file ?

Lame can do it with GTK+. There are versions for Unix and Win32 available.

>How can I recognize if a mp3 file is VBR or not ? using WinAmp (-->
>File properties) ?

Yep, mp3_check can do it very well. It gives you the VBR MIN and VBR MAX when
the file is a VBR, otherwise it's not.
http://mp3check.sourceforge.net/

http://www.uuuu.org