Mark Powell schrieb am Mit, 20 Sep 2000:

> > >     R> I'm using GNU Make version 3.77, does above work for other Make
> > >     R> versions?
> > >
> > > Yes, it does not work on 3.77. so I upgraded it 3.78.1 and it works fine.
> > > ---
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] // may the source be with you!
> >
> > What is the benefit of ?= instead of =
>
> -----
>    There is another assignment operator for variables, `?='.  This is
> called a conditional variable assignment operator, because it only has
> an effect if the variable is not yet defined.  This statement:
>
>      FOO ?= bar
>
> is exactly equivalent to this (*note The `origin' Function: Origin
> Function.):
>
>      ifeq ($(origin FOO), undefined)
>        FOO = bar
>      endif
>
>    Note that a variable set to an empty value is still defined, so `?='
> will not set that variable.

The configure script should then check for the installed Make version!
You can't expect that everyone will/can/has the rights to upgrade tools
just for a little bit smarter typing.

If the above expressions are equivalent, why not using the latter which
works on older Make versions too?

> -----
>
> > so that I should
> > upgrade from 3.77 to 3.78.1 ???
>
> Try FreeBSD. A simple:
>
> $ cd /usr/ports/devel/gmake
> $ make all install
>
> Will do everything for you :)

Thanks for the tips! I'm happy with Linux and I know how to
upgrate Make, but I don't see a substantial need to do it ;)

> BTW 3.79.1 is the latest version of GNU make.
>
> Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
> Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
> Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
> Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key

Ciao Robert