> Should we change IXMAX_VAL to 8191?
>
> pros:
> 1. as Rob points out, less false syncwords in the bitstream.
>    (8206 is encoded as 0x1FFF).
> 2.  LAME produced mp3's will no longer trigger Winamp bug.
>
> cons:
> 1. Winamp may not bother to fix their decoder
> 2. Tiny loss in quality just to pander to Winamp users.
>    (all Linux decoders I've tested do not have this problem)
> 3. LAME produced mp3's will no longer trigger Winamp bug
>    (so it will look like it was a bug in LAME :-)

I'd vote for limiting it to 8205. The quality loss would be very minimal. It
won't solve winamp's problem, but it's easy to fix in the decoder, now that
we know exactly what the problem is.
The advantage is that 8205 is 0x1FFE, which is not a valid syncword for
mpeg1-2. With this, audio resync on corrupted bitstreams would be easier for
the decoder

Regards,

--

Gabriel Bouvigne - France