Sigbjørn Skjæret schrieb am Mit, 04 Okt 2000:
> Just thought I'd say my thoughts on the different parameter setting function
> proposals we've had so far...
>

> Individual functions for each parameter:
>
>  Pros:
>  - None. ;)

        :-) compiler provides type check
        :-) direct check for valid ranges
        :-) small functions everyone can easily understand
        :-) avoids huge spaghetti code

>  Cons:
>  - Litters the API with "thousands" of functions.

        is that a cons?
        this could be a good point to make the use of this
        parameter clear to every user, just write a short
        comment for every function

>  - If the parameter's type changes, the API has to change.

        WOW, IF YOU CHANGE THE MEANING OF A PARAMETER,
        THIS WOULD BE A CHANGE IN THE API ALREADY AND
        WOULD BREAK BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY !!!

>  - If a new parameter is introduced, the API has to change.

        but this is backward compatible, so not a problem

> Giving a parameter structure:
>
>  Pros:
>  - Hmmm, none. ;)
>
>  Cons:
>  - You have to be very careful not to disturb the order of the parameters.
>  - You end up with a bunch of duplicates if you have to change parameters.
>  - Different compilers can cause different alignments.

        :-( would require to recompile every client if you allow him to
            access the parameters in your structure

> Giving tag-pairs on stack to one function which parses them:
>
>  Pros:
>  - API never has to change.
>
>  Cons:
>  - Littering with different tags for each type.
>  - It's possible to pass the wrong type.
>

> Giving tag-pairs on stack to 3 functions (one for each type):
>
>  Pros:
>  - API never has to change.
>  - One tag for any type.
>
>  Cons:
>  - It's still possible to pass the wrong type, but it's much clearer since
>    the function itself states which to pass.

        Ciao Robert