Alexander Leidinger wrote:

I've been trying, but don't really understand enough to rip out the right pieces of LAME for this task:
Take an MP3 file with CRC turned on, but incorrect checksum information and either disable CRC or recompute the checksums correctly, and make the changes without deencoding and reencoding the file.

Any hints on how to do this? Is this a feature of LAME already that I can't find?

The first point is that this could be an error in the stream. In this case, updating the crc might be a bad idea.

There is one case where this would need to be done: old Blade files. In earlier versions, Blade was computing a wrong crc (like the iso code), and so if you decided to add crc protection, this one was wrong.
I remember that when this issue was corrected in Blade, there was also a program posted on the Blade homepage to do this specific correction on already encoded files.

Regards,

--

Gabriel Bouvigne
www.mp3-tech.org