DigitAl56K wrote:

I'm currently encoding a bunch of my CD's using the following switches to LAME 3.95.1:
-p -k -q 0 -V 4 -m s

With 3.95.1 I would suggest you to just use "-V3". The resulting bitrate should be similar to your current command-line and the quality will probably be better.

It sounds as if LAME is cutting the hiss in and out in the quiet sections of the track leading to very noticeable artifacting. Presumably this has to do with the ATH level. Maybe some investigation of this issue might lead to a more accurate ATH model that was more adaptive and thus produced better quality.

Perhaps your track has an unusually low volume? Have a look at the ReplayGain value displayed at the end of encoding. It gives the adjustement needed for the track to reach a perceived loudness of 92dB.

If it is displaying a big adjustment value, like +15dB or something similar, then maybe you should use add --scale to your encoding.

Regards,