On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Cactus <rieman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To reinforce that these new types are MPIR specific, should they be called
>> mpir_ui/mpir_si?
>
> I had exactly the same idea a few days ago - I am inclined to do this.
A couple more ideas...

Can we define a macro (HAVE_MPIR_SI ?) to unambiguously detect if
mpir_si/mpir_ui is available?

For better backwards compatibility, should mpir_si/mpir_ui always
default to long unless USE_MPIR_SI (or some other descriptive name) is
defined before mpir.h/gmp.h is included?

The only compatibility issue I encounterd was trying to explicitely
get a long on 64-bit Windows. I had to downcast the results of
gmp_get_si(). Would it make sense to add
mpir_get_slong/mpri_get_ulong?

Case