I'm not sure how virtual boxes work. Do they emulate the CPU as well as the OS?

Unfortunately, there isn't really a lot we can do if virtual box is
going out of its way to report incorrect cpu parameters through the
*assembly instruction* cpuid, if that is what is happening (I am not
sure if it is or not).

Unfortunately, the solution does appear to be to build MPIR with
-march=native, which apparently works.

If anyone has any deep insight into this, please let us know. Maybe it
is possible for us to do something about it upstream. I'm keen to fix
it, I just don't understand the problem well enough.

Bill.