>--- David Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asks:
>
>> A secondary city story is the one I want to talk
>about: what will happen to
>> Minneapolis in Congressional redistricting? Will
>Minneapolis remain the
>> heart of a Congressional District, or it be combined
>with St. Paul into one
>> "city" district.

A few rambling comments:

Here in Seward neighborhood, we traditionally have wanted to be split into
two wards.  The neighborhood is large enough that both council members have
to pay attention to us (this is how Seward got the funding for the historic
preservation of Milwaukee Avenue).

There is a major perceived boundary between Minneapolis and St.Paul. For
example, in the nonprofit world, if you want funding from a St. Paul
funding source (corporation or foundation) you can NOT be located west of
the Minneapolis/St. Paul boundary (just ask KFAI--even though they have a
transmitter in St. Paul, their address/studio in Mpls and they were turned
down for funding specifically for that reason).  Also, there seems to be
more of a sense of community between south Minneapolis and Richfield or
Maplewood and East St. Paul then there is between SE and NE mpls and St.
Anthony Park neighborhood of St. Paul.

In addition to the "rules" about physical and political boundaries, I would
propose another one.  Change the boundaries as little as possible.  People
get very confused as to who represents them now. I would argue that part of
this confusion is because of the significant boundary changes we have every
10 years for legislative and congressional districts.

On the other side, in the 1950's (and maybe before), Minneapolis was split
into two congressional districts.  One south, including southern suburbs
and one north, including northern suburbs.

sheldon mains    seward neighborhood    minneapolis      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
the shameless agitator  in  the electronic town square

yes, i really am running for library board. check
http://www.shamelessagitator.org for details.