All the agencies that adopted the Above the Falls plan were committed to
making it happen. The first step of this plan revealed some of the actual
problems of implementation.
The JADT request for a zoning change was granted by the City Council. I would
have preferred an anchor, regional park on that site. There are lessons to be
learned from this process. First of all, I like Tim Baylor and wish him well
on the project and I appreciate the kind of process that tailored this
project so that there are some very positive benefits built into the
proposal.
I guess I take some umbrage at those people that took umbrage about this
process. Council member Johnson was particularly strident in her dissing of
neighborhood activists. The Mayor and Council president Cherryhomes both
played the race card in their speeches and said that Tim Baylor deserved an
apology for how he was treated. From my perspective this was a difficult
question for the council to decide and the process both improved the proposal
from Mr. Baylor and shook out some funding sources for purchasing and
maintaining a regional park that connects green space on the upper river.

Zoning will play a huge part of how land is acquired and how it is used.
Right now zoning decisions are not part of the comprehensive zoning plan,
therefore what the city says it wants and the basis for "findings about
zoning changes" are not connected in a way that will actually create the
agreed upon vision.
The city council will have to figure out a structural way that the desired
outcome of zoning by the river is a part of the comprehensive plan.
The plan also calls for a Community Development Corporation set up to acquire
and assemble parcels to form the regional park. That would really help. Also
missing was the ongoing structure for citizen involvement in the planning.
My suggestion is that a clearer structure and process needs to be in place
before the next battle at the water's edge. Thanks, Scott Vreeland, Seward,
home of the only true gorge on the third largest river on the planet.