There has been a good deal of discussion about the value of the list lately,
but it's clear to me this is a time when it plays a very important role in
getting information out to the community. It can also play a very important
role in educating public officials about what the public is thinking.  So I
encourage people to continue to post on this topic, and, especially
important right now, seek out as many diverse opinions as possible.  List
members would be playing a very important role if they could solicit someone
who HAS NOT participated on the list and encourage them to post so we can
get some fresh perspective.  This way we can continue to show how a list
like this can bring new perspective to a community dialogue.

Here is a statement I put out after meeting this noon with Somali leaders:

Our city has suffered a terrible and tragic loss.  On behalf of all of
Minneapolis I want to express my very deep sorrow to the family of the
victim and to members of the Somali community.

The most important goal we can all have right now is to gather as much
information about the incident as possible, and to ensure that the community
has the confidence that the investigation will be independent.

Toward that end, the Hennepin County Sheriff is conducting an independent
investigation. The public should report all information about this case
directly to the Sheriff at (612) 348-3755. I just met with over 40 members
of the Somali community to talk about the process and their concerns. We are
working with Somali community organizations to make sure information is
coming forward for the investigation

I want to reassure all people in Minneapolis that this city will continue to
be safe and respectful for every member of our community.

I am fully aware of the fact that many people in the community do not see
this as an isolated incident.  Issues of race and mental illness, and the
police, have been raised for some time and I want to make it clear I take
these questions seriously and will take the steps necessary to ensure that
all of the information comes forward and the investigation remains
independent.

R.T. Rybak