Terrell Brown wrote:

>Has this happened often?

It happened to me three times between mid-August and mid-November of last
year. To be fair, two were during rush-hour on the stretch of Hennepin
Avenue where the bicycle lanes suddenly disappear, and a cyclist's legal
choices are to ride in relatively heavy traffic, dodging buses at bus
stops, or to dismount and walk on the sidewalk.

But I had a bicycle-mounted cop tell me to get on the sidewalk while I
was waiting at a stoplight in the right lane of traffic. I pointed out to
him that it was illegal to ride on the sidewalk in a business district,
which I was pretty sure we were in (unless you're a cop -- there's a
special provision for police in 169.222).

>I would expect that a member of the police force would know that a
>bicycle has the right to use the roads and could certainly understand
>why anyone met with a request to "get on the sidewalk where you belong"
>might feel that they were being harassed.

I don't see it as harassment. I see it as ignorance and/or an attempt to
assert power. When possible, I talk to them and explain things (as with
the bike-cop).

I recommend that urban cyclists read "Effective Cycling" by John Forester
(he makes a good point that bike-paths and bike-lanes are _more_
dangerous than riding with the cars, and should be abolished -- I don't
entirely agree, since I like bike freeways like the Cedar Lake Trail, but
it can be a fun argument to have).

Dave Polaschek
Marcy-Holmes

Dave Polaschek - http://betternerds.com/  http://davespicks.com/
 "Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether
you win or lose: it's how drunk you get."     - Homer J. Simpson