A few points about the Park Board purchase of the new headquarters building.

1) The real estate  agent is a former Park Board Commissioner, whom I have
met but have forgotten his name.  This real estate agent would make a
commission on this property no matter whom he sold it to. There was no
monetary incentive for him to sell it to the Park Board, in fact he could of
gone slow and looked harder for other buyers who might have paid more for
it, and thus generated a higher commission for himself.

2) It is technically correct to say that the Park Board was not "actively"
seeking a new location for a new headquarters.  However, the reason that
Minneapolis has such a great and extensive park system, is because the Board
in its 120 year existence has consistently acted aggressively to acquire new
lands when opportunity presented itself.  In my 8 years on the Park Board, I
participated in many informal discussions with staff, including former
superintendent David Fisher, other board members and others, about acquiring
property for a headquarters "out in the park system."  The property that
generated the most discussion was the Bureau of Mines campus near the Vets
Hospital.  This property was looked at as a potential site for a new
maintenance facility and/or administrative headquarters.  The Airport,
National Park Service, MinnDot, Private groups, and Lord knows who, all
looked at this property to some degree -- competition for the land and
buildings was intense and convoluted, and no proposal ever got to the point
of the Park Board taking any formal action to acquire it took place, as best
I can remember.  The desire to have the headquarters "back in the Park
System" has always been in the back of peoples' minds.

3) The Park Board administrative headquarters use to be housed in City Hall.
When space got tight, the Park Board got kicked out to City Hall and went
across the street to he Public Health Building (it has a different name
now).  When space got tight there the Park Board got kicked out and moved to
rented space in the Flour Exchange Building. In 1993 the Park Board moved to
its present location in rented space in the Grain Exchange Building.  The
Park Board is the only government entity that does not have its own
building.

4) The new building on West River Parkway, near Broadway, will be paid for
by money that is now being used to pay rent to the Grain Exchange and for
expensive parking in the Jerry Haaf ramp.  No new money needs to be raised
to pay for this building.

5) Bringing more land into the Park System is a major strategy of the Upper
River Master Plan.

Dean Zimmermann
Mpls City Council - Ward 6
612-673-2206