The first footnote on the first page says "The OSA grouped three
current city services: general government, public safety, and streets
and highways together to form essential current services. All other
current services are called non-essential current services for the
purposes of this study."  I'm willing to give up some "streets and
highways" for parks and libraries.  Last I checked we have a tremendous
number of non-local people using our streets and highways, parks and
libraries and a lot fewer people going to other municipalities to use
their streets and highways, parks and libraries.

Report:
http://www.osa.state.mn.us/reports/gid/2003/lga_study/lga_030210_report.pdf

According to the report Minneapolis spends on a per capita basis:
General Government: $147.04 Public Safety: $395.73 Streets and Highways
$124.72 Total essential services: $667.49 Non-essential: $342.72 Total
Spending: $1,010.21 Received 2002 LGA of $291.72 and levied property
taxes of $318.77.

It's interesting (and maybe just interesting) that on a per capita
basis, St. Paul is within 10% of Minneapolis in all of the spending
categories on a per capita basis except streets and highways where they
spend only 60% of what we do on a per capita basis.  For some reason
their per capita tax is half of Minneapolis ($319 vs $160).

The report (p. 17) says this about Mpls and St. Paul; "As very large
cities, Minneapolis and St. Paul face much greater levels of need and
complexity in delivering public services. Need is high due to several
factors, including an older infrastructure, higher crime rates, heavy
use of streets and highways (by industry, by residents, and by
commuters), more rental property, and
large numbers of low income residents, some attracted to the central
cities by the availability of public services."

Then says: "The central cities also have the highest per capita
spending on non-essential services at $340 per capita. This is almost
double of the state average."   It underlines the sentence about
"almost double"  I ask:  How much of that is for services (i.e. parks
and libraries) for people who don't live here?

This report reads more like research done to prove a point than
research designed to get to the answer of a question.  There is
certainly a philosophical reason why many would support each unit of
government levying the taxes to pay its own way, it makes it clear to
the voters how much that level of government costs.  If you do that, it
seems reasonable that a given municipality might want to decide to
provide services only to those who pay the taxes and charge user fees
to all others.

Maybe what this report does is provide another reason for why we should
have regional government.

Terrell Brown
Minneapolis (Loring Park)
terrell at terrellbrown dot org

http://shopping.yahoo.com

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.