It's in Target's best interest to make sure the Broadway store-front doesn't sit empty any longer than necessary, as although Target is currently ponying-up to the "public trough" for any subsidized assistance, they still have a relationship to maintain with the commuity they call home.

Twenty-some-odd years ago, while living in Alaska, I researched and developed a logistical plan that greatly improved the existing steamship shipping into and out of central Alaska (about a 300 million anual market).  The circumstances were "right" to offer the up-start Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE), and opportunity to gain market share over the majority competitor Sea-Land Services Inc (owned by CSX Rail).

The gist of the story - TOTE saw no downside to my proposal.  At the very worst, they were allowed the opportunity to "rub Sea-Lands' nose into doo-doo" (publicly) in their own backyard.

If it were me, and I were the City, I'd make a couple of phone calls to Wall-Mart and K-Mart.  To think that at some point in past discussions (w/ the City) regarding public subsidies, that Target Reps didn't play the "we're still operating and losing money in the inner-city" trump card to gain the public assistance, would be an oversight in my opinion.  It's appropriate (again in my opinion) that someone hold their feet to the fire.

Dennis Plante

Jordan

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*. TEMPORARY REMINDER: 1. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait. 2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject (Mpls-specific, of course.) ________________________________ Minneapolis Issues Forum - A City-focused Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy Post messages to: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe, Unsubscribe, Digest, and more: http://e-democracy.org/mpls