Doug Mann correctly says:
>"> Concentrated poverty is a consequence of discrimination in the housing
and
> job markets, especially the exclusion of African-Americans from the better
> neighborhoods and jobs. But very little is being done by the government at
any
> level to enforce fair employment and housing laws.
>
> The plan to "de-concentrate poverty" on the Near North side that was
> legitimized by the Hollman Consent decree is, in reality, a gentrification
project
> which harmed the people it was supposed to help.  About 900 dwelling units
were
> destroyed, which produced an alarming increase in the number of poor
> African-American families taken into homeless shelters in Minneapolis.
>
> A lot of housing that is affordable to poor people could be created by
> building on vacant lots and renovating or replacing uninhabitable dwelling
units in
> some of the city's poorest neighborhoods.  This is not being done because
it
> would not be very profitable for private developers to do this.  If a
property
> is in a bad location, its market value can fall below the cost of
acquisition
> and development.
>
> It is possible to de-concentrate poverty in the poorest neighborhoods, and
at
> the same time increase the supply of "affordable housing" in the poorest
> neighborhoods and citywide. But that's not happening because the
politicians in
> this city are owned by people who have an interest in preserving the
status quo.

While I agree with Doug Mann, there are a couple of things he misses.  In
poor neighborhoods the only way to create affordable housing without
concentrating poverty is to create more "affordable homeownership".  A
mechanism that brings poor people out of poverty and stabilizes poor
communities. Such "development" pays very little to politicians in the form
of contributions or actual future "considerations".

Also Doug has missed a very important aspect of concentration of poverty and
problems in poor "Impacted Neighborhoods".  The problems of poverty and lack
of housing does not JUST affect Afro-Americans. Though it does very
definitely impact the Black community.  Native people are the most
discriminated against community for housing of any group in America.
Twenty-five percent (25%) of Indian people are homeless. Even recent
immigrants are less discriminated against than Indian People! Some groups of
Hmong people seem to lack the resources to become homeowners, and yes even
the most overlooked minority of all, poor whites, are discriminated against.
Believe me poor whites are also a discriminated against "Minority", though
if they get lucky they may "pass".  Indian People even though they become
middle class are discriminated against for mortgage financing.  (And for Jim
Mork's benefit, the source of this data is Fannie Mae during a briefing they
gave to neighborhood and housing leaders at the Shriners building.)

The City of Minneapolis has totally ignored the implications of the Hollman
Decree.  They mistakenly think that it only affects "Public Housing".
Minneapolis elected officials do not seem to realize that their pattern of
institutional discrimination by concentrating poverty and "Supportive
Housing" violates Federal Fair Housing Law.  Public Housing also is a
nebulous thing since Federal Tax Credits, and other "Public" funds are used
to build "affordable rental housing" and then subsidize the rent of those
same rental units. How is this NOT "public" housing?   City Officials have
told us that they alone subsidize every "affordable" rental unit in
multi-unit buildings by 159,000 dollars.

Such institutional discrimination costs Minneapolis' poor people a lot of
suffering, but eventually it could cost Minneapolis millions of dollars for
remediation and lawsuit costs.  Would it not be better to live up to the
"Spirit of the law" and solve this problem rather than forcing neighborhoods
to sue the City for justice?  I guess the sad truth is that City leaders
would rather spend money on needless legal actions than on actual affordable
housing for poor people.  Or could it be that they are simply ignorant of
the intent of the law and the City leaders are instead intent on helping
"development" friends?

By the way, there are people and organizations like American Indian Housing
who ARE trying to develop affordable homeownership on those lots you talk
about.  They are also looking to rehab those houses you talk about for
affordable homeownership.  There are NO lots in the City of Minneapolis that
could not be developed for "affordable homeownership" at half the subsidy
for each and every rental apartment.  Such development could immediately
start on every empty lot in this City. It is not a problem of finding
quality-housing developers; it is a problem of WILL.  The will to actually
help poor people and break the cycle of poverty.

There is light (even if dim) down the tunnel.  More and more City Council
Members are starting to understand the concept of "affordable homeownership"
and to understand that not only does this stabilize lives and communities,
but it saves hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars over the life of the
house and family. Subsidizing the continuation of poverty is NOT cheap.
Those CM's with Social Liberal- Fiscal Conservative backgrounds must realize
the ultimate actual cost of subsidized rental apartments.

I think the combination of Mike Christianson and Lee Pao Xiong will quickly
see the efficacy of the affordable homeownership plan in the "planning" for
Minneapolis communities.  It is a model that is both acceptable to "Impacted
Neighborhoods" and even good "fortress neighborhoods".  It is also a model
that saves both lives and money and stops the pattern of institutional
discrimination that "concentration" causes.  Isn't it cool when social
justice even costs less? The problem is that it also leaves less
"opportunity" for the poverty industry folks to MAKE money, so few
politicians (only the good ones) work on it

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village

>"There is no finer investment for any community than putting milk into
babies, revolution into minds and families into homes."

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)