As a resident of Jordan, I'd like to thank Don Samuels for the personal and professional dedication he's shown to the citizens of Jordan. He had much to lose by stikcing his "political neck-out", and did so because residents needed help. I'd also like to thank Governor Pawlenty for hearing the requests of the residents and responding.

What has been done however, is not enough... I am a firm believer that yes, and ordinary person CAN have an impact on the outcome of issues such as this. But only if they're empowered to do so. We, as citizens of an embattled neighborhood are told publicly to participate in making our neighborhood safer. Yet, in many instances privately, we're discouraged from doing so.

About a month ago, I had the first-hand experience of witnessing a neighbor that called 911 on an indivdual dealing drugs at the corner of 26th Av N & James Av N. Although it was not a smart thing to do, she called from in front of her house, as she was infuriated by the fact that the "dealer" was blocking her car as he transacted the deal with the car in front of her. Upon completing his transaction and letting the car in front of her go, the dealer walked-up to her car thinking that she was interested in "buying" as well. When asked what she wanted, she told the guy that she had called 911. He threatened to kill her.

Well, when the squad arrived about 1/2 hour later, myself, several other neighbors has arrived to console our now hysterical neighbor. We POINTED-OUT the individual to the officers on the scene and were told there was pretty much nothing they could do.

Now I know the answer I'll hear from everyone is that the incident should be reported. But, the truth of the matter is this - a taxpayer has been discouraged from becoming involved in their community. The message and actions from our paid city officials responsible for supervising the police officers that protect and serve our neighborhoods. It is my hope that our Mayor, RT and our City Council, will choose wisely when it comes time to hire a new chief.

Dennis Plante
Jordan

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)