I have long resisted posting on this subject because my youngest child is
still in the Minneapolis school system and I don't want to subject that
child to retaliation.

My involvement (for the last 17 years), has been limited to the schools that
my children attended and not the whole system.  Through the years, they have
brought home numerous tales of politics being "thrust" upon them by
teachers, guest speakers, and even aides.  These have all been very
"liberal".

Some of you may remember that up until a couple of years ago, I was a
dyed-in-the-wool Democrat but it still struck me as being very one-sided.
So I felt an obligation to investigate the "other" side to many of these
issues so that my children could have more information with which to form an
opinion.  An unintented result of that research was my gradual shift from
the left to the center (and the schools can take a good deal of the credit
for that).

I was actually astounded to read that there was any "conservative" ideas
being introduced, much less extensively since I hadn't encountered it--ever.
I won't bore everyone with anecdotal examples as I don't feel like being
attacked tonight (off-line, of course).

After some further thought though, it occured to me that this dichotomy may
be the result of the two-tier system that I strongly believe exists in the
Minneapolis Public Schools.  Maybe the kids who are tracked into the "top
tier" are actually exposed to very different ideas than those who are simply
abandoned in the system.

As I have stated in previous posts, I strongly regret keeping my children in
the Minneapolis schools and if I had to do it over again I would make very
different decisions.

Catherine Leighton
Live in Longfellow/Work North East