On 2/9/04 8:23 PM, "David Brauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Recycling: a green gamble?
> The City Council chooses between an upstart local recycler and two corporate
> giants with longer track records -- and rap sheets
> http://www.swjournal.com/articles/2004/02/09/news/news01.txt

I want to thank the SW Journal for this article. I think Michael Metzger did
an outstanding job of covering the numerous issues involved considering the
space restrictions of a weekly newspaper.

I also appreciate Susan Young's candor in the article in stating that "she's
not allowed by city regulations to consider Eureka's status as a local
nonprofit when adding up each bid's positives and negatives."

That certainly seems to differ with the message our city's elected officials
have been proclaiming to us constituents about wanting to promote small and
local businesses. Which makes me wonder - is the city leadership really
trying to do that or is it merely feel-good rhetoric designed to placate the
voters?

Personally, I'm kind of embarrassed by the comments from Councilmember Sandy
Colvin Roy (12th Ward), chair of the Transportation and Public Works
Committee, who said "Waste Management's long legal history doesn't count for
a lot in the consideration of the city contract."

"What matters more to me is reliable service to the city so that our
recycling can continue smoothly," she said.

I guess if I were an elected official, I would want to make sure that the
organizations I choose for the city to do business with are trustworthy and
not shady operators with an extensive history of legal troubles like Waste
Management. I truly hope our other city council members find this concern
more important than CM Colvin Roy apparently does.

Even so, As St. Paul CM Jay Benanav attests, Eureka has been doing a great
job in St. Paul and he thinks they've been a great operation from both an
environmental AND financial standpoint. This is consistent with what I've
heard from my friends and colleagues who live in St. Paul, most of whom work
to develop recycling and other environmental policy for the state.

As for the concern expressed in the article about Eureka's "limited
organizational experience as a recycler" - I'm sorry, but that's just hooey.
Eureka is not some brand-new organization, they spun off from the St. Paul
Neighborhood Energy Consortium. The folks that now lead Eureka are the same
folks that were coordinating the recycling program in St. Paul for the NEC,
which has existed  since 1985. Since an organization is best judged by it's
staff, there's absolutely no reason to assume that just because the name on
the letterhead has changed, that what has been a highly successful,
operation will suddenly tank. Especially when Eureka's CEO is Susan Hubbard,
who is a former president of the National Recycling Coalition and one of the
country's foremost authorities on advanced recycling programs.

What's really ironic about all of this is that the only reason Eureka
Recycling even exists is because SuperCycle, the St. Paul NEC's former
collection contractor for the recycling operation, was bought by Waste
Management in 1999. Due to concerns about a lack of competition and the
potential for poor service and rising prices, the St. Paul NEC chose to
establish what is now Eureka Recycling rather than deal with Waste
Management.

I don't know about anyone else, but that speaks volumes to me.

Mark Snyder
Windom Park