[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (on Mpls forum):
> I know this is really crazy, but why shouldn't
Minneapolis opt out of the
> Metro transit system?

I think the Governor's actions are making the case for
just the opposite approach.

The Met Council should be an elected body.

We would not be subject to wild swings in the Council
every four or eight years, as we are now.  It wouldn't
be a totally "Republican" or "Democratic" council as
it is now, there would be shades of gray, just like
real life.

An elected Council would answer the call of two
totally disparate groups.  It would address the
problems urbanites are having with mismanagement of
the transit strike, and dislike the conservative shift
the Council has taken in planning its regional
blueprint.  And for all those groups that feel the
Council interferes with local control, it improves
connections with local communities by bringing
additional accountability.  (This group includes Lake
Elmo and suburban developers and landholders.)

How realistic is the possibility?  Realistic enough to
have the Minnesota Legislature passed such a proposal
in the 1990s, only to have it vetoed by Governor
Carlson.

All right.  Attack away.  But be sure to explain how
more democracy and accountability at the Met Council
would make the situation worse than it is.

Bob Spaulding
Downtown Saint Paul Resident