As SRC's Jo Miller indicated in an earlier post, the US Attorney's
office is announcing enforcement actions today against North Minneapolis
landlord Robert Zeman and the Minnesota-based property management firm
Dominium Management Services, for their alleged failure to comply with
the federal lead hazard disclosure law.  The settlements against
Zeman-who owns 19 properties in North Minneapolis-and Dominium will lead
to lead abatement in more than 3,800 units in four states, at an
estimated cost to the defendants of $1.25 million, plus penalties.
Dominium will pay a civil penalty of $10,000 and contribute $70,000 to
Minneapolis-based Sustainable Resources Center as part of the Consent
Decree.

We have posted details of the settlements, including the press release,
copies of the Consent Decrees, the federal complaints, a list of
affected properties, and a map of Zeman's North Minneapolis properties
at:

www.nomorelead.org/enforcement.htm

It is believed that this is the first announcement of possible others
around the issue of property owners' and managers' compliance with the
federal lead hazard disclosure law.  Not much else is known beyond this
announcement, given the confidential nature of the investigations
conducted by HUD, EPA, and the US Attorney's office.  This development,
however, is a significant reflection of stepped up enforcement of the
law, which requires real estate agents, property owners, and landlords
to disclose known lead-based paint hazards to prospective buyers or
lessees, as well as provide additional information.  More info on the
law is at our website, including forms for landlords to use for
compliance.

Stay tuned for more details later today as we publish our oft-delayed
504 Weekly around this issue.

Gregory D. Luce
St. Paul