There was a very disappointing turn of events yesterday when a committee
of the Metropolitan Airports Commission voted to not go forward with the
promise to insulate homes most effected by airport noise.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/9146813.htm?1c

If this stands when the full commission votes, it will mean the MAC will
be going back on a promise it made to thousands of homeowners who
depended on this promise was they made choices about what to do with
their homes.  And this wasn't just any promise. It was the basic
underpinning for the agrement to expand the airport at its current site.

I strongly disagreed with the MAC decision in 1996 to expand the airport
at its current site---they put $3.1 billion into a facility that is
landlocked, is nearing capacity and will increasingly face serious noise
pollution problems well beyond Minneapolis; a facility that because of
these limitations can't compete with air facilities in competitive
cities like Denver and Detroit. But they justified the decision to
expand at the current site by saying they would fully insulate homes out
to the 60 DNL.*  That was a bad deal then but it's much worse now when
yesterday's vote says the MAC won't even live up to its promise.

The MAC has a lot of new commissioners who were appointed by Gov.
Pawlenty.  Council members Benson, Colvin Roy and I, along with my rep.
Dan Boivin, have had a series of meetings with these new reps to give
them this background.  Sen. Wes Skoglund and Rep. Thiesen have also been
lobbying the MAC.  Our meetings with commissioners seemed to have gone
very well but there has been tremendous lobbying pressure from
Northwest.  In recent days there were even letters to commissioners from
legislators who should otherewise have no connection to this issue,
including House Speaker Steve Sviggum and Sen. Dick Day.

In the wake of this pressure great credit should go to former
Bloomington Mayor Coral Houle, who with my rep. Dan Boivin, led this
fight and put in tremendous blocks of time lobbying other MAC members.
Also deserving credit is commission member Lonni McCauley of Coon
Rapids.   It was greatly disappointing the John Williams,  north
Minneapolis dentist, voted to break the promise to these residents.

Facing such a blatant disregard for its own acommittments, the MAC seems
to be, once again, devolving into a group that can be pressured into
doing whatever Northwest and the Governor wants...even if it means
breaking a long held promise to thousands of homeowners about their
single largest investment.

Seeing how all this worked, or didn't, it's clear that it's time to
consider legal action that will finally establish that the MAC made a
promise and it needs to stick to it.

R.T. Rybak

* (The 60 DNL refers to the neighborhoods on the noise maps that have
the worst airport noise.  These lines cover neighborhoods closest to the
airport but it's important to note that even if the MAC agreed to do
what it promised...to insulate to the 60 DNL--it wouldn't come close to
providing relief to neighborhoods like Central, Kenny, Lynnhurst, King
Field, etc. that also have very bad noise issues.  That's why we
continue to work hard on issues like landing patterns, quieter jets and
cargo hubs at other locations that can help relocate the loudest
traffic.  We are making progress in these areas, esp. in building a
statewide coalition of people to work on these issues. )