It appears from this discussion that the well known "Minneapolis Myopia" has infected yet another civic discussion. Folks, we are a metropolitan area of 4,000,000 souls and growing that stretches from St.Cloud to Rochester. That means that while you'd love to have a subway/elevated train/light rail line/etc. in front of your home it may not happen fro a long time, if at all.

Those four million citizens stuck in traffic are ready and in fact increasingly demanding rail transit. Even if all our dreams came true and we had a billion dollars a year to spend on transit, we'd still have to make compromises. Commuter rail costs a couple million dollars/ mile, light rail at least $50,000,000/mile, and tunnelling is so expensive that it's a non starter. The North Star and Red Rock commuter lines are over 100 miles long and will cost at least $300,000,000. In line behind those lines are the Southwest line, Dan Patch, and lines north to Mora, northeast towards Hinkley, East into Wisconsin, and west towards Willmar. Then comes a very expensive link to Rochester, either by a new light rail "interurban" line down the median of U.S. 52 or by rebuilding the very tired DM&E tracks through Owatonna and the not quite so decrepit CP or UP tracks to Northfield to connect with the Dan Patch line.

With all the lines absorbing hundreds of millions of dollars in public investment for years to come, it'll be difficult for the more expensive light rail lines to compete for funding. That leaves the line down University Avenue as the most likely candidate for funding. Those political realities also mean that a Southwest Light Rail line will probably follow the Kenilworth corridor- commuters from the "burbs won't tolerate several minutes delay while that train stops at every corner on Nicollet Avenue. An even more likely outcome is that the Southwest Corridor will see commuter rail- there are lightly used tracks already in this corridor from Minneapolis to Montana!

So be glad that the rest of the state is increasingly appreciating transit as we Minneapolitans always have- but be realistic in what you demand and you're more likely to get it.

        by Northside Station in Hawthorne,

                Dyna Sluyter