[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Getting behind a public ownership proposal is a way to oppose "the deal" without really opposing the most critical part of the deal, which is to strip away our right to vote on proposals to hike local sales taxes.

Where exactly is this "right" enshrined in our state or federal
constitution?  I cannot find it.

Referendum is bad government.  It allows our elected officials to
abdicate their responsibility to make good policy based on the
common good.

Would you like our transit system funding to be dependent on
referendum?

Oops, I forgot, it is.  We have a transportation ballot item
next year: dedicating the Motor Vehicle Sales tax to transportation,
at least 40% to transit.

This form of governing is what got California into the mess it's in.

David Greene
The Wedge