On 5 January 2012 22:22, Lars <nore...@z505.com> wrote:
> I wonder how Windows XP does remote GUI without an x11 architecture. In
> windows XP they have something called "Remote Assistance" which is
> something like VNC I think (faster? I don't know). So without an x11
> architecture I wonder how they make windows remote capable.

Windows uses RDP (remote desktop protocol). A Microsoft invention
(well really something they bought and slapped their anme on it). RDP
is nothing like X11's network protocol, and RDP is not built into GDI,
it is separate installed software (but the client software comes
standard with Windows). RDP is something similar to VNC, but
apparently more efficient. Linux devs also implemented RDP (server and
client), so that could already be used now in X11 and probably in the
future with Wayland. Wayland might still get remote window support
built-in, but that will come later.

--
Regards,
  - Graeme -