Hallo Martin,

Du schriebst am Sat, 16 Nov 2013 07:44:57 +0100:

> > > How do you suggest one should solve the Pascal "with" problem that it
> > Why bother? Who's responsible for the workings of the software written
> > in some programming language - the compiler (writer) or the programmer?
>
> [...]
>
> I hope you write this as devil's advocate. We probably should look at
> your statements in a different light.

Depends on who's the devil in your opinion. ;-)

But anyway, this is just a simple issue of scoping - you _have_ to deal
with that constantly as a programmer, and the compiler has to keep track of
all the scopes in some clearly defined manner, and know what is visible
currently.
The compiler cannot second guess what a code writer _wanted_ to access -
it only can use what is _visible_, or complain that there is no such thing.

(Otherwise, we wouldn't need any programmers, i.e., we wouldn't be needed
any more... =:-O )