On Friday 28 November 2014 15:41:29 Michael Schnell wrote:

> In fact they do something like this by allowing the user to select
> sevberal modes (e.g. "fpc" "delphi" and  "delphiunicode") I.e. there are
> several different implementations (and syntax) for several issues.
>
> But doing a decently better implementation of Unicode support is a lot
> of work and nobody pays them :-( .

FPC has Unicode support since ages, it is named "UnicodeString". It even had
it before Delphi before Florian killed it by making the reference counted
win32 WideString a Delphi compatible OLE string. I unsuccessfully begged to
preserve the referencecounted 16 bit string type on all platforms.
Please forget the crap with "codepage aware ansistring", dynamic encoded
string and what not...
MSElang has "string8" (utf-8), "string16" (utf-16), "string32" (UCS-4)
and "bytestring" which can hold any 8-bit encoding or binary data.