Hallo Fred,

vous ecrit au Sat, 12 Nov 2022 23:58:53 +0000:

> > No, the best way should be a method to EXCLUDE use of these data
> > structures and functions in a way that could provoke a failure.
>
> Hum, how do you see this?

The structures are defined in an object environment, and accessed
through object methods. These methods SHOULD make sure the data are not
corrupted when used (of course, they not always do...).

> Re-hum (sorry it happened just after last release), I did try some
> msegui apps with the fpc 3.3.1. with LLVM backend. Here how to
> compile fpc with LLVM backend:
> https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,61069.msg459333.html#msg459333

Oh, Thank you, I did already consider trying something similar, as it
was often stated that LLVM was so fast. This should make it much easier.

> But using LLVM ( who is less tolerant for pointer of pointer )
> reveals some bugs in MSEgui.

That's very good! Finding - and then removing - errors in pointer
constructs makes for more stable software, and at the same time less
open for exploitation.

> Thanks to Jonas Maebe (core dev of FPC and our MSE guardian angel)
> the bug was fixed in last commit:
> https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui/commit/bfb2efea058bb31015764a25c11fd870d701b8b7

I'll get it as soon as possible.

> So maybe your code is no more synchro ( and it is all the goal of
> using git 😉 )

Well, if different people commit different conflicting modifications,
even git cannot do anything else but reject the later one. It just can
give the reason for the conflict to help in resolving it. But of
course, that's "immediate" feedback, and  the one hit by the conflict
can do it.

Vous ecrit au Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:23:28 +0000:

> I commited the change from your msegui-shadow. (also added the last
> fixes from Jonas)
> https://github.com/mse-org/mseide-msegui/commit/9db47ee8d576e145cdc2487210b74f115715bde8

Not so fast - did you test it and got it to work for you, hopefully on
Windows and perhaps arm systems, too? As I wrote, I only have Linux
available for now, although I do have a RaspberryPi 3 lying about, that
I'm trying to "heave" to the aarch64 architecture. It still lacks an X
system, though.

> You did lot of work!

Well, not so much. It boils down to a couple compatibility functions
that are quite simple minded, and some hunting for the conditional
compilation sections.

> I did test with ideU and all seems perfect.

Yes, your ideU was my "test bed" also. I hope it uses most of what was
changed, as it's a real BIG project, a lot bigger than Martin's original
IDE.

> Of course with all that fixes the new release will jump to 6.0.0.  😉

You think this is warranted because of some clean up of conditionals?
The big step had been more appropriately justified by the additions to
the gui code lately, but possibly Jonas Maebe's correction could be
worth it.

> Totally out of subject, you are talking about decades of using your
> system. I never understood why "decade" in Englsh is 10 years.

Perhaps that's taken over from german?

> Afaik, "decade" comes from Latin "deca = 10" and "dies = days".

Not for us - in fact, "Dekade" effectively meant any set of ten units
originally, and may have originated through the use of the abacus as a
calculation tool. From there stems the use of the term "Dekade" (in
german) also for a decimal place (e.g. "die Hunderter-Dekade", the
hundreds place). The derivation of the suffix "-de" from "dies" is
completely new to me.

> For example in French, "une decade" is 10 days and "une decenie" is
> 10 years.

Interesting, and new to me, as my knowledge of french is very limited,
in fact I'm probabely a lot better in french grammar than in french
vocabulary...

> So I suppose that your decades was in English, not in French....😉

Well, indeed - I don't usually mix several languages together...
The only exception is the "greeting" phrase of my answers to your
"postings".