Hello,

I've noticed that many unix tools require that a user
specify account passwords in config files.

To me, this seems like a terrible idea, and indeed
msmtp at least prompts for a password when it needs
one.

However, what if I don't want msmtp to prompt me? For
instance, it seems reasonable to me that someone might
like to create a higher-level program that uses msmtp
to do the grunt work; in many cases, that higher-level
program might like to manage the password in its own
way.

Sure it's possible that this higher-level program
could provide that password via stdin, but that
seems like a flaky endeavor.

In short,

        Why are passwords dealt with in the way that
        they are?

        Is it dangerous to provide an option such as
        --password?

        Is it reasonable to use stdin?

        Why are so many people willing to write their
        passwords in config files?

Thanks,
Michael Witten