While this may have been the problem, be aware that there is an undocumented
(AFAIK) chip erratum on the CC430.  I had programmed some boards to
immediately enter LPM5 on boot; at that point, I could no longer use the FET
over JTAG.  See the threads titled *Cannot access TI MSP Experimenters board
* from this mailing list about three weeks ago for potentially related
information.  We were able to restore functionality using the BSL over a USB
port on our development boards.  I have not tried to diagnose this further.

If you left the watch programmed and running and it put itself into LPM5
after some extended idle period, that may have been part of the problem.
It's possible that there's something about the code generated by mspgcc vice
IAR/CCS that makes it happen.  Or it may have just been your Windows problem
all along.

Peter