On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 06:50:49PM +0100, Guillaume Salagnac wrote:
> I have two FET430UIF on my desk. One of these "accidentally" got loaded with
> a V3 firmware and I'm now trying to downgrade it to V2 using mspdebug (ubuntu
> 12.10, with mspdebug v0.22 compiled from source).
>
> Following the "upgrade/downgrade procedure" from the FAQ, I downloaded the
> DLL source code from TI (slac460g.zip), patched it with Tamas Tevesz' patch,
> and then compiled libmsp430.so. Then I downloaded the UifV3Updater package
> from TI, and also obtained a V2 firmware image from my second UIF. Now I want
> to follow the steps of the "Downgrade procedure" itself, but I get a weird
> behaviour:
>
> - flashing and running the "uifv3downgrader" often produces various error
> messages. Typically, they look like "Interface Communication error (error =
> 35)" or "No unused FET found". But if I run mspdebug as root, then sometimes
> it seems to work, and I get pretty much the same output as shown on the
> website: "Programming new firmware", "X percent done", etc.
>
> - however, even then, I don't get the exact same behaviour as advertised.
> mspdebug doesn't hang, but exits with some more tilib error messages: "Could
> not set device Vcc", "device initialization failed".
>
> - and it looks like the downgrade was not successfull: when I unplug/replug
> the FET, it still appears as tty/ACM0, the green led is still on, and
> "mspdebug --usb-list" still tells me the device is a "FET430UIF (V3
> firmware)". And obviously I am not able to transfer my V2 image on it.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Hi Guillaume,

The downgrader image was produced when the first version of the TI
library was released. I'm not sure if it's still expected to work with
the current firmware and/or library.

Perhaps somebody on the list from TI can comment?

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B